Monday, August 27, 2007

Ustad Sahab

August 16th passed away unnoticed. It was the death anniversary of a legend. Ten years have passed since the death of Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. He was 48 when he lost the battle for his life in London. But the music lives on. He has sold more albums than Elvis Presley. Nusrat was one performer who left me wishing I were not an atheist. Someone once said about Nusrat, “Nusrat’s music invites us to eavesdrop on a man communing with his God, ever so eloquently. The deepest part of Nusrat’s magic lies in the fact that he is able to bring our hearts to resonate with the music, so deeply, that we ourselves become full partners in the offering.”…need I say more?

1 comment:

Tuples said...

Ustad ji ko salam. Sanjay, why don't you make this a shared blog - invite me, will pitch in my quota of ramblings.